So you’re wondering how much does a new semi truck cost? Well, the answer will not please you as getting a new semi will make a dent, so check our detailed rundown to find out all the details you should know.
Semi-trucks are made up of two parts, namely the cargo trailer and the tractor unit carrying it. These have to be purchased separately, which can greatly drive up the price of the vehicle. Nevertheless, the truck component which contains the engine is costly on its own, as its engine is six time that of a standard car.
The following long answer highlights prices depending on retailers and manufacturers. Following that, you can read a breakdown of semi-truck costs and get the details that help explain them.
Average Semi Truck Prices
- The average price of a semi-truck in the United States ranges from $110,000 to $195,000.
- Costs vary depending on the type of semi-truck you want to purchase.
- The most affordable model is the local haul, which is ideal for inner city transportation. Its prices range from $100,000 to $150,000.
- A good middle-ground option is the over-the-road long haul, which retails for anything between $120,000 to $175,000. It is the perfect variant for city to city drives.
- The heavy haul is the most expensive alternative, as it is specifically designed to handle substantial cargo. The median price for one is of $195,000.
As previously mentioned, the trailer for a tractor unit must be purchased separately. The average cost for one ranges from $30,000 all the way to $80,000. In addition to this, you will have to secure an International Registration Plan for it. This IPA will allow the truck to circulate between American states, Columbia, and Canada.
Depending on your business and the type of semis in use, you will pay anywhere from $500 to $3,000 for this permit. Other permits are necessary to operate a truck as well, and they will take between $100 and $1,000 out of your pocket.
Semi-trucks are sturdy vehicles meant to last a lifetime, but only when provided with proper maintenance. This will cost you $15,000 per year. Finally, any accessories you choose to equip your semi with to enhance its comfort and appearance will also supplement the final cost.
Top Places to Buy a Semi Truck
- Brand name will also influence the cost of a semi-truck.
- Freightliner semis, which are the most popular option in the United States at the moment, retail for a typical cost of $120,000 to $160,000.
- The company sells over 190,000 vehicles of this kind every year.
- In fact, Freightliner trucks are so popular in the United States that they make up 40% of the market.
- It is also the biggest truck manufacturer in the United States as it has over 3,000 employees employed in its two factories.
- The year of fabrication of the semi is also a factor that will determine its cost.
- A 2016 Freightliner Cascadia retails for roughly $140,000, while the 2018 model is priced at $158,000 due to its upgrades and modifications.
Kenworth & Peterbilt
- Kenworth is owned by the PACCAR group together with its sister company, Peterbilt.
- Together, the two bring in an annual revenue of almost 20 billion dollars, and they sell over 150,000 vehicles.
- On average, a new truck can be purchased in the $140,000 price range.
- Prices can be as low as $80,000 for a less robust model and as high as $175,000 for a semi-truck that is robust enough to handle any task.
- International is another behemoth of the truck manufacturing industry, as it has been producing vehicles for more than a century now.
- The company was founded and has been in business since 1902.
- The average price of a new International semi-truck ranges between $100,000 and $135,000.
How Much Does a New Semi Truck Cost in Canada?
- The average price for a semi-truck in Canada runs between 80,000 dollars and 150,000 dollars.
- Premium models retail for as much as 200,000 dollars.
How Much Does a New Semi Truck Cost in the UK?
- Volvo, Mercedes Benz, and Tesla are the most popular semi-truck manufacturers in the United Kingdom.
- The average price is of $150,000, but costs range between $100,000 to $200,000.
- Thus, prices in the United Kingdom are generally aligned with the rest of the world.
How Much Does a New Semi Truck Cost in India?
- A standard truck made in India retails for 23 lakh rupees or over 2 million rupees. This converts to roughly $32,000.
- Foreign brands are available for purchase on the Indian market as well, and they are sold at similar price points to the Western world.
Is the Price Right?
So, how much does a new semi truck cost? Prices are roughly the same on all markets, averaging between $80,000 and $200,000, tops. This is, without any shred of doubt, and expensive vehicle, but it is also a versatile and durable one. Thus, you will get back your money’s worth out of using it, especially if you maintain it properly.
Do you have any experience with semi-trucks? Tell us your stories, and feel free to leave any feedback on our article and the information in it.